Oral polio drops are most popular for its use in various immunization camps organized by various health organizations around the world, particularly in 3rd world nations. However, where economic constraints are not an issue polio vaccine injections are also used.
The oral vaccine rarely causes vaccine associated paralytic polio, in view of which certain developed nations are not using oral polio vaccine anymore, instead using injectable polio vaccine.
Another reason why some nations less prefer the oral polio vaccine is because of the risk of spreading of wild live polio viruses. Oral polio vaccine contains live polio viruses, whereas injectable ones contain killed dead polio viruses.
In certain developing nations where injectable polio vaccine is given, advise is also given to get the oral vaccine too, as part of various polio irradication initiatives that are taken by various health organizations.
Cervical cancer is one of the deadliest cancer in women all over the world. It’s the second most common cause of cancer worldwide. About 80% (as of figures of 2008) of these cancers were from developing nations. However, the awareness and fear of this cancer don’t see to be that much in the remaining 20% of the world population. Today the author will try exploring the possible explanations of such ignorance of developing nations toward cervical cancer.
Obviously the first cause we can think of, is the low education or lack of literacy, which prevent women to know about this cancer. In developing world many people know their relatives to died of cancer, although they might not be sure of what type of cancer was it. Next, is probably because of less discussion about this cancer in radio, television and other medias. Most emphasis is now given for HIV-AIDS. It seems like, problems that get more emphasis in west is more widely circulated in developing nations, although they might have some other equally serious health problem which don’t receive the attention (like mal nutrition in children).
Another particular observation the author made in certain parts of developing nations is that the health care providers generally have a more pin pointed approach than a broad approach towards their patients. Let me explain, for example a young lady goes to a doctor for a fever and the whole advise and treatment commonly she will receive will be related to the main complain she came with. Most likely she will not be asked or informed about safe sex practices or what a pap test is and why should it be done etc. The author believes that whenever a patient visit to a health care provider they should be encouraged to talk and think about issues important for his or her particular age and sex besides the presenting complain of the patient.
Interestingly many women in poor nations are not at all aware about the availability of vaccines against certain strains of human papilloma virus (HPV)which causes cervical cancer. Although these countries have a never changing fixed problem that they lack fund to provide these sort of costly vaccine to all (although the author don’t agree with this concept and believes misuse and corrupt use of funds creates artificial crisis which leads to deprivation of common man from good health care).
At least in this circumstance they could have done one thing even there may be a lack of enough monetary resources to provide HPV vaccine to every one, i.e. making mass campaign to educate people about the importance of such vaccines. By doing so at least some people could have tried to save money and get the vaccine on their own because once people understand the importance of something for their good health they always tend to get it. Even affluent or middle class people who could have payed for the vaccine may not do it because they lack the necessary information. In terms of vaccines probably most campaigned in developing nations is the polio vaccine and that also supposedly due to international health agencies pressure and fund.
All we can do is hope and pray for the wisdom of leaders of these nations to think seriously for their countrymen’s health. In these days if pap tests are used properly in time, many cervix cancer cases could have been detected much earlier and appropriate treatment can be given in time before it becomes too late. Therefore, little bit of increased attention towards mass campaigns may help save many women lives. Women in poor countries too deserve a good quality of life as enjoyed by their counterparts in rich nations.
Views shared here are based on this blog author’s own perception about the subject. The author don’t intend to hurt anyone’s feeling in any form and if such happened unknowingly is purely coincidental and not intentional. Please cross check information from other sources too. For all your health concerns please be guided by your healthcare provider. References- link